It very essential that you have some basic knowledge about the physical skills and cognitive skills in children before you learn more about parenting.
In this article we will do an in-depth analysis of Cognitive Skills.
These skills can be broadly classified into the following 6 main skills which are critical for learning:
- Attention Skills,
- Memory Skills,
- Logical and Reasoning Skill,
- Audio Processing Skill,
- Image Processing Skill, and
- Speed of Processing
These types of Cognitive Skills are a child’s ability to attend to the information that is thrown at him. It is the ability of the child to grasp all the information.
Attention Skills can be sub-divided into:
- Sustained Attention: It is the ability of a child to remain focused on the task at hand for a substantial amount of time.
- Selective Attention: It is the ability of a child to remain focused on a task which interests him despite of all the distractions which exists around the child.
- Divided Attention: It is the ability of a child to maintain his attention on 2 two things at the same time, basically it is the ability of the child to multi-task.
These types of Cognitive Skills are a child’s ability to remember the information.
These skills can be sub-divided into:
- Long Term Memory: It is the ability of a child to remember and recall a piece of information for a substantial amount of time. Long Term Memory is critical for child’s overall development.
- Short Term Memory: It is the ability of the child to grasp information, process it and use it for a short interval of time. Very good example is a child writing the words being dictated to him. He will hear the words, remember them, and write them down and then move ahead to hear the next word.
Logical and Reasoning Skills
This type of Cognitive Skill is a child’s ability to logically find a solution to a problem or reasoning to find the best solution out of the available solutions.
Logical and Reasoning skills helps a child to formulate concepts, solve puzzles, build structures etc. These skills are very critical for developing a child’s thinking and imagination.
Children with poor logical and reasoning skills generally struggle with mathematics and solving puzzles.
Audio Processing Skills
This type of Cognitive Skill is the ability of a child to hear, analyze and interpret sounds. These skills greatly help a child to learn things fast.
Though Audio Processing skill is very critical for a child’s ability to learn things faster, these skills are not necessarily essential in all cases.
For children with hearing deficiencies, even if this skill does not exist, it will not hinder them in learning anything.
Image Processing Skill
This type of Cognitive Skill is the ability of a child to visualize an image in his mind.
Image Processing is extremely critical for a child to visualize and thus conceptualize the information given to him.
Children who have good Image Processing skills generally have highly developed imagination.
Speed of Processing
This type of Cognitive Skills is a child’s ability to perform all of the above skills at an acceptable speed.
Speed of Processing helps a child to work quickly, accurately and innovatively without getting disturbed by other distractions.
As you might have guessed by now, that development of Physical Skills and Cognitive Skills are extremely essential in the development of Child.
You can read more about how you can increase cognition in this e-book (affiliate link). Though the book is more for adults, I do not see why it cannot be used for children as well.
Now that we have understood How playing helps in Child Development and what are Physical Skills and Cognitive Skills, in the next article lets see how Educational Games can help us in Child Development by developing the Cognitive and Physical skills in children.
Disclosure: Affiliate link is a link that will earn me a commission if you purchase through it. If you do, I absolutely appreciate it. Please note that I am recommending this book because I have used it and feel that it will benefit you. Buying the book using the affiliate link, will in no way increase or decrease the cost of the book.